lördag 19 september 2015

MEL TORMÉ/SONGS FOR ANY TASTE PMC 1114 (-59) UK MONO

For a while now I've had a period listening to the music I heard as a kid fifties and early sixties on our big valve radio in the living room or the kitchen transistor. Even if different from most of the stuff I'm into today much of it remains with me, not only as memories but also a prerequisite to my taste in music as it was an inspiration to many sixties and seventies acts. Multi talented Mel Tormé (1925-99) active as among other things vocalist, drummer, pianist, actor, author, arranger and composer. Starting as a child prodigy at age four and remained active up to his seventies with shifting success. Between 1955-57 he recorded seven jazz vocal albums for Betlehem label, today considered classics and by many his biggest achievement. This is one of them. Two of my favorites from the British sixties r&b/jazz scene are Georgie Fame and Alan Price. I guess some of their inspiration must have come from Mel Tormé. Same type of songs, warm cosy atmosphere and soft jazzy vocals. Maybe Fame's and Price's more pop oriented style attracts me more today, but there's no doubt that without singers like Tormé they couldn't have done it and if not for the songs of his I heard on the radio as a kid I wouldn't have liked them so much. US premiere on Betlehem Records (BCP 6031). Also issued in Japan on Betlehem 1969 (PAP-23030). First UK had label as shown here and laminated flip/back cover. (MÖRS*) (CLÄZ*) (PÖX*) (GCÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar