fredag 17 april 2020

ALICE COOPER/LACE AND WHISKEY K 56365 (-77) UK

His tenth album in total and third tagged as solo. Lyrically you can hear the Alice Cooper avatar crawling out of that shell and showing more of the person within, among other things dealing with r/l alcohol problems. Instead of the previous made-up monstrosities I get some of his private darkness. More honest for sure and in a way refreshing, but it would've shown better if conveyed by likewise open and sincere presentation. As much as I appreciate the lyrical exposure I'm bored by the music - blunt hard rock with a minimum of catchy moments blended with tired winks to other genres . Even his before so raw and cheeky vocals are tuned down and here just become a part of some well-oiled machinery. On the positive side opening track "It's Not Tonight" is carried by some very good guitars and the ballads "I Never Wrote those Songs" and "My God" have intriguing orchestral arrangements, but at least on this press the vocals are so deep down in the mix on both those you can hardly hear them. So I'm just in a little bit, but as it is the Alice Cooper and in some way represent a turning point in his life a keeper nevertheless. Nothing like "Killer" or "Billion Dollar Babies"...but still. Issued and reissued on vinyl and CD all over the world through the years, also 8-track, cassette and MP3. Premiere US on Warner Bros. (BSK 3027) had custom "whiskey, gun, bra" label. That also appeared on a couple of early UK ones, while others had the regular "Burbank". Both are regarded as "first", but as the Burbank ones I've seen have matrix no.s A-1 Allen/B-1 Allen and the custom ones A-2 Allen/B-2 Allen I guess this was first (right me if I'm wrong!). It came with label as shown here in a matt cover with picture/credit inner. (KÖÖP)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar