lördag 18 april 2020

DAVID BOWIE/LODGER BOW LP 1 (-79) UK

More of a love letter than one of my regular posts, but I'll try to keep my pants on. I fell head over heels for this at release and today, so many moons later, I'm still touched. Here's an album made by experimental means - among other things applying Eno's "oblique strategies", having same chord sequences for different songs, swapping instruments and using old tracks played backwards as foundations for new songs - then stylewise blending arty, psych and avant garde with world music. It could have resulted in one of those where you have to struggle to get in and well there getting a grueling ride. But this is nothing like that. It hits immediately, dig down deep, stirr up emotions and then stay within. Even with all those odd procedures going on under the surface it's still inviting and catchy, making you wanna return again and again. All tracks are more or less favorites, but if to pick four - "Fantastic Voyage", "Look Back In Anger", "African Night Flight" and "Move On". Been aiming to write this for years, but never felt I could do it enough justice. Maybe I haven't so far with this either, but it's a start. Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. First US on RCA Victor (AQL 1-3254). UK 1991 CD (EMI CDP 797724 2) came with the instrumental "I Pray, Olé" and an alternative version of "Look Back In Anger" as bonus. Premiere UK had label as shown here and laminated fold/out cover with lyric/credit/picture insert. (PKÅ)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar