torsdag 23 april 2020

DEEP PURLPLE/BURN TPS 3505 (-74) UK

After the tour following their seventh album "Who Do We Think We Are" Ian Gillian and Roger Glover left the group, replaced by vocalist David Coverdale (later Whitesnake) and Glenn Huges (earlier in Trapeze, later Black Sabbath) on bass, then forming the band's alleged "Mk III" phase. This was the first LP issued by that outfit. It's been called a new chapter for the band with a new sound and it is to some extent, but as an always devoted fan of the two first MK:s I'm more interested in if and how it releates to their former masterpieces. I don't hear any direct copying of old tricks, but there are discernable echoes from the past. Small things...like the intro to "Might Just Take Your Life" reminds me of "My Woman From Tokyo", some of the guitars could have been on any of the MK II LP:s and part of the beat is so signature old Purple. Not much I know but the ambiance is there helping me to realise this is a great rock album, albeit the somewhat new direction performed without Gillian and Glover. My taste in rock'n'roll was fixed many decades ago and I don't often change my mind about such important things, but when it comes to this I can at least stretch it a little. Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. First US vinyl on Warner Bros (W 2766). EU 2004 CD on EMI (7243 2 73621 2 5) came with five new re-mixes as bonus. Premiere UK came with "Grammophone" labels, soon replaced by "EMI" ones. This has "Grammophone" on side A and "EMI" on side B, with 1U/1U matrixes having the PORKY-MEL-TRISH/PECKO etchings and early mother/stampers, so some kind of transition copy. It came in a thin glossy sleeve with plain white "MADE IN ENGLAND" patent no. inner. (HÄVL*) (DHÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar