måndag 13 april 2020

THE OSMONDS/THE PLAN SE 4902 (-73) US

First time I saw The Osmonds was when they appeared at the Andy Williams show on TV around 1964. Much appreciated by my parents, but as it clashed with Beatles and Stones and the whole array of UK and US pop and rock entering my life back then they became a definitive no-no. For me a well behaved cute and religious boy act could not compeate with the cheekiness and musical lawlessness coming from many other bands at the time. And since then I've kept a healthy distance to the boys. So when a while ago I was given this by a psych-loving friend who said it was good and I ought to listen I thought he was kidding. A kind of theme album, handeling mormon faith and their approach to it - how good could it be? As it turns out...not bad at all. Not into mormon beliefs myself, so the lyrics are far above me, but musically it works just fine. A blend of rock'n'roll, psych and orchestrated baroque pop, well sung and played. E.g. "Traffic In My Mind" psych blues with very raw guitars - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14gYanO8GT8 . "Movie Man" catchy twenties style, "One Way Ticket To Anywhere" and "Going Home" good classic rock, "Mirror, Morror" funkyish with odd rhythms and "Darlin" a love ballad carried by quite advanced orchestral arrangements. So well done but at arrival 1973 totally out of time. If issued with other billing in a psych sleeve 1968 I'm sure it would have caught attention and today sold for higher sums, but as it is now often found in the $1 bins or even a give-away. So if you're a bin-penetrating music lover that happens to see it among the other cheapies, don't be fooled by the sleeve, name or religious set-up. Pick it and give it a chance and you may be surprised. Initially issued all over the world on vinyl, also 8-track and cassette. US 2001 CD on Curb Records (D2 77956). First US had label as shown here in a glossy fold/out cover with embossed faces and fonts on front. (YZÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar