fredag 17 februari 2017

THE SUPREMES/RIGHT ON STML 11157 (-70) UK

I wasn't all in with any of the fractions after the split. I wanted The Supremes as they were and never really embraced Diana Ross solo or the reformed group as it turned out in the long run. Only reason her first solo album works for me is it still has a lot of the same atmosphere I got from the original setting and this first Supremes effort with Jean Terrell as substitute is even more so. In fact Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong still toured with Ross when recordings started summer 1969 so all was set for a smooth transition. Today my only reservation against it would be that Jean Terrell isn't Diana Ross. She has a similar and very nice voice and do good, but still needs some reciever adjustment from this old-time fan. Apart from that I get a Supremes album that could as well have been from two or three years earlier. Track choice, backing, hit-feeling and atmosphere - all fit the classic setting. Later on the agenda would change both for band and label, but this is still my Motown and almost my Supremes. Favorite tracks - "Up The Ladder To The Roof", "You Move Me", "Baby Baby" and "The Loving Country". Premiere US on Motown (MS 705) came in a fold/out sleeve with large group pic inside. First UK had label as shown here and laminated flip/back cover. (TÖMÖ*) (ZYZÖ*)(FÄV*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar