lördag 12 januari 2013

FOUR TOPS LIVE! TML 11041 (-66) UK MONO

I sometimes wonder why I like certain kinds of music - when and how tastes and preferences are formed and what situations or events helps. It may be I never get the full picture, but with some groups and styles I know exactly. 1967 in seventh grade we had a temp art teacher - a pot smoking bohemic with a groovy style - much admired by the students. He also played records during the lessons, first time ever that was allowed in our school. The one he played most was Four Tops "Reach Out" album. I couldn't draw at all, but he was cool with that as long as I behaved. Most of the time I just sat back and listened and after a while all songs on that LP stuck and I wanted my own copy. The town only had one record shop and "Reach Out" wasn't there so I took this instead. Since it had about the same songs it didn't matter. At that time I never cared about audio. There were no fresh needles to buy for my fifties German grammophone and the one I had eventually got so mangled I taped extra weights to the tone arm to make it stay in the tracks. Although most of it must have been a blur, I remember being touched by the melodies and nerve of the whole thing. Today on a modern equipment the audio is still not tops, but it's the same nerve and I'm still touched. Reached #17 on Billboard and #4 on the UK list. Premiere release on US Motown (MT/MS 654). First UK with label as shown here and laminated flip/back cover. (TÖMÖ*)(LYBÖ*)(FÖRH*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar