torsdag 19 april 2012

BOB DYLAN/JOHN WESLEY HARDING BPG 63252 (-68) UK MONO

I've never been a huge Dylan fan. Lots of American rock acts caught me in the sixties - Zappa, Electric Prunes, Steppenwolf, Doors and more, bur Dylan just never got to me. I can appreciate everything he did in theory, but most of the time his music don't hit me. This album is one of the exceptions. I really like the story (stories) he tells and it's done in a lovely way. So simple, but yet so efficient it becomes self-evident and almost perfect. For a long time I thought the US mono original was a fold down, but that was wrong. Apparently a separate mix was done for the Columbia CL2804 issue. A far as I understand this UK release didn't use those tapes, instead it's a fold down of the US stereo. Sounds nice anyway. Early UK had structured label and no mono arrow. The one shown here is somewhat later with smooth label and the arrow. (SYSÖ*) (BÖB*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. Don't think this one is a fold down. I think it's a true mono mix.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I never actually compared one with another, just read a number of times that the US mono is a fold-down. Only copy I owned is the UK mono and that sounds lovely with a big strong base. If You know anything about differences between the US or UK mono and stereo I would be happy to know :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. It's no fold down, maybe research a bit better before you post.

    SvaraRadera
  4. This blogg is not just a fact collection. I share what I know, but lots of these late monos are unmapped territory and I hope to learn more myself. So some things here will change along with new facts coming in. What I'm interested in is - why do You say it is a separate mix? Do You know anything about the recordings, or can You spot any difference between the two issues? Things like that could help me make this a better place.

    SvaraRadera